Starting today, European visitors are now required to purchase an entry permit to enter the United Kingdom

New rules entered into force on Wednesday asking European visitors to the United Kingdom to buy an online entry permit, as the government reviewed long -term regulations to increase border security.
However, the changes caused a little disturbance at the Gare du nord station in Paris where the passengers started the Eurostar trip to London.
“So far we haven’t had any travelers,” EUROSTAR employees told AFP.
Passengers from Europe now need a digital travel license permit (ETA), which UK officials will be offered to increase and simplify security incomes.
There will be a buffer period that may last for several months.
The online permit can be purchased for 10 pounds (12 euros), but the price rises from April 9 to 16 pounds.
ETA was already offered to American, Canadian citizens and other exempts visiting the United Kingdom, which left the European Union in 2020.
UK Border Force Phil Douglas said that the latest player was part of a broader plan to bring ETA to visitors from all over the world.
“This scheme is essentially the management of border security,” he said, adding that the launch is not expected to cause disruption.
He said that the permit will speed up entry times and allow officials to verify information, including the date of immigration for the traveler or the criminal registry.
For the individual, Quid Pro Quo is that we build boundaries without contact, so if they are wiped to enter, they will be able to use the new Egates and they will be able to go across the border more quickly. “
He said: “People will continue to have planes and trains while this preliminary period is taking place,” referring to the temporary store period, adding that it is expected to last for several months, until “September or October.”
The permit allows visits up to six months. It is digitally associated with the applicant’s passport and is valid for two years.
The application, which can be presented to the smartphone application or through the government’s website, has been open to Europeans since the beginning of March. It applies to citizens of about 30 European countries, including all those in the European Union except Ireland.
The plan has been expanded
The applicant needs to provide a picture of their passport and face. The process takes about 10 minutes, according to the UK’s home office.
In most cases, the decision is made within minutes, but the government recommends that up to three working days allow.
It will be required for children and children, but the airline passengers with border crossing in the UK are exempt from the plan after pressure from Heathrow, who fears the loss of passengers that connect the most crowded European airports.
Nearly 84 million passengers passed through Heathrow in 2024 – a third of the neighboring European Union.
The scheme was first launched in 2023 for Qatar, before extending to five neighbors in the regional Gulf.
In January, it was expanded to citizens of about 50 countries and other region, including Argentina, South Korea and New Zealand.
Nearly 1.1 million visitors were released with ETAS before the end of 2024, according to the home office.
It does not apply to UK residents or anyone who has already a migration position in the UK.
ETA reflects the ETIAS chart for visa -exempt citizens who travel to 30 European countries, including France and Germany, which was delayed until 2026.
This story was originally shown on Fortune.com